Am I a suitable candidate for Liposuction?
Although liposuction can often provide very substantial improvements, it is rare for liposuction results to be absolutely perfect. It is not a weight-loss technique, or a solution for obesity. It is also not an effective treatment for cellulite, a condition that gives your skin an uneven, dimpled appearance. However, liposuction is a good procedure for spot reduce fat reduction.
Who is not a suitable candidate for Liposuction?
- If you are not healthy, you may be at greater risk for liposuction complications than a healthy person. For example, there is an increased risk of surgical complications associated with a past medical history of immunodeficiency disorders, cardiac arrhythmias, seizure disorders, excessive bleeding, or a significant history of deep vein thrombosis (blood clots in the legs) or pulmonary emboli (blood clots in the lungs).
- If you are taking certain drugs that may increase the risk of bleeding, such as aspirin, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, or anticoagulants such as warfarin, then liposuction would not be safe.
- If your skin does not have good elasticity, then you must expect there to be some degree of a slightly wrinkled appearance. However, in many cases, patients with poor skin elasticity are very happy with their new shape despite the slight wrinkled appearance of the skin.
You will be disappointed if you expect liposuction to be an effective means to lose weight permanently. Liposuction is not proven to be an effective treatment for obesity.
So could liposuction be for me?
This is a question that can only be answered after a full consultation with your plastic or reconstructive surgeon. Determining factors are your age and health.
In general, the best candidates for liposuction are individuals who:
- Are in good health.
- Are within 25 lbs. of his or her ideal weight.
- Are bothered by these fatty areas, and is motivated to get rid of these problem areas once and for all.
- Have had no previous surgery in the area where liposuction is desired.
- Have firm, elastic skin.
- Do not have frequent fluctuations in weight.
- Desire reshaping and not weight loss.
- Are psychologically stable.
- Do not smoke.
- Exercise regularly.
- Are accepting of any limitations, as discussed with the surgeon.
- Are well informed about the procedure.
- Hold realistic expectations about the outcome.
What is a suitable age for liposuction?
While age is not a major consideration, it is important for older patients to realise that because of diminished skin elasticity, they may not be able to achieve the same results as younger patients with tighter skin. Patients over 40 must recognise that skin contraction is less likely and loose skin can result. And some surgeons will not operate on patients with inelastic skin.
Can both men and women have liposuction?
Both men and women can be excellent candidates for liposuction. Approximately 75 per cent of patients are female and they most commonly have liposuction performed on the belly, the buttocks and thighs. About 25 per cent of patients are men, the most common location for liposuction in men is the “love handles”.
What is my first step?
Your initial consultation with one of our vastly experienced liposuction specialists should clearly set out your expectations and whether the operation can give you the results you desire.
You reasons for wanting liposuction and your suitability for this type of procedure will be carefully discussed. Also, your medical history will be taken to ensure that there are no reasons why you shouldn’t have this operation.
What can I do to help achieve the best results?
Your surgeon will give you specific instructions on how to prepare for liposuction, including guidelines on:
- Eating and drinking.
- Taking or avoiding vitamins, iron tablets and certain medications.
How else can I prepare for this procedure?
If you are physically fit when you have this operation, you will recover much more quickly than if you are out of shape.
Find out more
Only through an in-depth discussion with your surgeon will you be able to understand the risks, benefits and expected outcomes of this procedure.
If you would like to find out more about liposuction or arrange a consultation, contact us today on 08707 606 555, or by completing our online enquiry form for an immediate response.